Country: Federal Government of Somalia (FGS)
Name of the Project: Somalia Water for Rural Resilience Project ‘Biyoole 2’
Assignment Title: Senior Environmental Safeguards Specialist, Biyoole II Project, Ministry of Planning, Investment and Economic Development
Project ID: P177627
Deadline Date: October 28, 2022
Ref No. SO-MOPIED-FGS-314450-CS-INDV
Building on the experiences of the Water for Agro-Pastoralist Livelihoods Pilot Project (WALP) and Biyoole I implemented by government contributing to the National Development Plan, the Ministry of Planning, Investments and Economic Development is implementing the Somalia Water for Rural Resilience Project ‘Biyoole 2’ Project. The objective of the Biyoole II project is to develop water, agriculture, and environmental services for rural communities in Somalia’s drylands and is a five-year project. The project is framed around four components: (1) Development of Agriculture and Livestock Services around Water Points, (2) Development of Agriculture and Livestock Services around Water Points, (3) Component 3: Development of Environmental Catchment Services in Project Areas, (4) Project Management, Community Development and Enhancing Livelihoods Planning.
Biyoole 1 was under the World Bank safeguards policies and was guided by an Environmental and Social Management Frameworks and a Resettlement Planning Framework together with an SEAH prevention and response plan and a Security Management Plan. Based on Biyoole 1 a new phase Biyoole 2 is being developed which is under the more comprehensive World Bank Environmental and Social Framework. In order to ensure that the needs of the target communities and the objectives of the project are attained, as well as ensuring that the Environmental risks and mitigation measures are adequately managed, the Project is recruiting a professional with relevant experience and track record for the position of Senior Environmental Safeguards Specialist.
- Scope of Work and Responsibilities
The Senior Environmental Safeguards Specialist position will be a full-time contracted staff position, assigned to the PCU of the Federal Ministry of Planning of Somalia. The Senior Environmental Safeguards Specialist will be responsible for the implementation of the environmental risk management of the Project and will provide technical expertise and capacity building support at FGS and FMS levels. S/he will also be responsible for submission and tracking of all E&S instruments and ensuing clearance before implementation of sub-projects.
In conjunction with the social and GBV/gender and security specialists, the senior environmental specialist will oversee the implementation of the Environment and Social Management Framework (ESMF), the Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP), the Labour Management Procedures (LMP), and Resettlement Planning Framework (RPF) and train and guide the FMS environmental specialists. The senior environmental specialist will be responsible for ensuring full implementation of the ESMF and Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP) and lessons learnt as well as ensuring synergy with other World Bank projects.
More generally, the senior environmental safeguards specialist will be responsible for ensuring that all environmental risks and impacts are monitored and mitigated, as well as environmental safeguard instruments and the ESCP are implemented on time.
S/he will undertake all the other specific tasks detailed in the Terms of Reference (ToR) that can be found at the following www.mop.gov.so or can be provided upon submission of application (in person or by email to the address below)
- The proposed duration for the assignment is twelve (12) calendar months from the start date.
- Selection Criteria
The selection shall be based on qualification, experience, and skills of the candidate and followed by an interview. The qualifications, experience, and competencies include:
- Qualifications and experience
- Master’s Degree in Environment Engineering, Environmental Management/ Sciences, Natural Resource Management or other pertinent fields;
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with at least 5 years of direct project development and management experience in the environment, preferably in fragile and conflicted contexts (including international experience);
- Experience in Environmental Protection and Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), preferably a World-Bank funded (or other international financial institution) project and/or projects in the fields of agriculture, livestock, water supply, water management, environmental management, community-driven development;
- S/he must be fluent in English and Somali;
- Demonstrated strong writing skills in English – please attach English writing sample from previous work as delineated in the CV;
- Should be willing to work in Mogadishu and travel to the project participating FMSs as and when required;
- Experiences in working in Somalia is essential.
- Skills in facilitating stakeholder engagement, training groups, working as part of larger teams (e.g. with PIUs, PMTs, ministries, NGOs, International Financing Institutions (IFIs)).
- The Ministry of Planning, Investment, and Economicnow invites eligible consulting(“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the above-mentioned Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services and furnish the Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Attention of interested Consultants is drawn to section III, para 3.14,3.16 & 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Projects Financing Goods, Works, Non -Consulting and Consulting Services, July 2016, revised November 2017, August 2018 and November 2020(“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant method set out in the World Bank Procurement Regulations.
- Interested Consultant may obtain further information (in person or by e-mail) at the address below during office hours from 8.00 a.m.– 4.00 p.m. Saturday to Thursday except public holidays.
- Deadline for submission:Expressions of interest should be delivered in a written to the address below (in person, or by e-mail) marked with the subject title of the position by October 28, 2022, at 4.00 p.m. local time.
Attention: Project Coordination Unit
Ministry of Planning, Investment, and Economic Development
Federal Government of Somalia
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: use above emails to apply for this job
Download the ToR from here