Country: Federal Government of Somalia (FGS)
Name of the Project: Somalia Water for Rural Resilience Project ‘Biyoole 2’
Assignment Title: Project Coordinator, Ministry of Planning, Investment and Economic Development, HirShabelle State of Somalia
Project ID: P177627
Deadline Date: October 29, 2022
Ref No. SO-MOPIED-FGS-314445-CS-INDV
Building on the experiences of the Water for Agro-Pastoralist Livelihoods Pilot Project (WALP) and Biyoole I implemented by government contributing to the National Development Plan, the Ministry of Planning, Investments and Economic Development is implementing the Somalia Water for Rural Resilience Project ‘Biyoole 2’ Project. The objective of the Biyoole II project is to develop water, agriculture, and environmental services for rural communities in Somalia’s drylands and is a five-year project. The project is framed around four components: (1) Development of Agriculture and Livestock Services around Water Points, (2) Development of Agriculture and Livestock Services around Water Points, (3) Component 3: Development of Environmental Catchment Services in Project Areas, (4) Project Management, Community Development and Enhancing Livelihoods Planning.
HirShabelle State of Somalia is establishing a core multi sectorial Project Implementation Unit (PIU) coordinated by the Ministry of Planning. The role of the PIU is to support the management, coordination, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of project activities. The PIU will be staffed with the following positions: – Project Coordinator, Finance Management Specialist, Procurement Specialist, Safeguards Specialist, M&E Specialist, Water Engineer, Environment Specialist, Agriculture Specialist and Livestock Specialists.
- Scope of Work and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Ministry of Planning, HirShabelle State, or a senior official designated on their behalf, the Project Coordinator (PC) shall be responsible for the overall coordination and management of Biyoole activities in Regions of HirShabelle State Somalia and management of the Biyoole PIU team. The PC will be the primary interlocutor for the Project with MOP HirShabelle– in particular the EAFS Unit at HirShabelle State Ministry of Finance, with the National Project Coordinator at Federal level and with the World Bank. The PC will ensure the Project is implemented in compliance will all fiduciary and safeguards requirements, reviewing and approving all reporting on the project within the Ministry and with the World Bank. The PC shall also ensure active engagement with other ministries, regional and administrative districts in the implementation of the Project in order to ensure its smooth implementation.
S/he will undertake all the other specific tasks detailed in the Terms of Reference (ToR) that can be found at the following www.mop.gov.so or can be provided upon submission of application (in person or by email to the address below)
- The proposed duration for the assignment is twelve (12) calendar months from the start date.
- Selection Criteria
The selection shall be based on qualification, experience, and skills of the candidate and followed by an interview. The qualifications, experience, and competencies include:
- Master’s Degree or higher in public policy planning, agricultural sciences, engineering, environmental studies or any other related field;
- 7 years hands-on experience in managing donor funded, multi-sectorial and community development rural resilience development projects in Somalia;
- Work experience under the pilot Water for Agro pastoral livelihoods pilot Project and Biyoole I will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in managing teams;
- Demonstated experience in contracting and management of consultants (individuals and firms);
- Clear understanding of, and experience in, World Bank procurement procedures, activity-based work and budget planning;
- Knowledge and experience in social accountability;
- Strong understanding of best-practice approaches to monitoring;
- A drive for results in a relatively high-volume, quick-paced programme environment, creativity and analytical capability required to respond to evolving programme demands and current events;
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills and ability to work within and build a team environment, ability to provide both detailed and strategic analysis, ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a multi layered work environment;
- Ability to adapt and cope with change;
- Excellent computer skills in full microsoft office suite (excel, word and powerpoint);
- Written and spoken fluency in Somali and English;
- Good understanding of local political economy and proven capacity for relevant intellectual and operational leadership in development work, particularly for community-based development;
- Eexperience of dealing with different stakeholders including different levels of governments, national and international research institutions, development partners, civil society and communities. Familiarity with Participatory Integrated Community Development (PICD) process will be an added advantage;
- Good understanding of water, agricultural, and environmental policies, strategies and associated regulatory frameworks;
- Ready for flexible working hours and extensive work load as well as frequent field travel to support project implementation at community level.
- The Ministry of Planning, Investment, and Economicnow invites eligible consulting(“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the above-mentioned Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services and furnish the Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Attention of interested Consultants is drawn to section III, para 3.14,3.16 & 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Projects Financing Goods, Works, Non -Consulting and Consulting Services, July 2016, revised November 2017, August 2018 and November 2020(“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant method set out in the World Bank Procurement Regulations.
- Interested Consultant may obtain further information (in person or by e-mail) at the address below during office hours from 8.00 a.m.– 4.00 p.m. Saturday to Thursday except public holidays.
- Deadline for submission:Expressions of interest should be delivered in a written to the address below (in person, or by e-mail) marked with the subject title of the position by October 29, 2022, at 4.00 p.m. local time.
Attention: Project Coordination Unit
Ministry of Planning, Investment, and Economic Development
Federal Government of Somalia
Email Address: email@example.com
Note: use above emails to apply for this job
Download the ToR from here